2017 Reading Statistics

Posted on Updated on

Every year I document the books I read using a super fancy excel spreadsheet. Mostly, so that at the end of the year I can use the chart function to look at my reading tendencies and averages and hold myself accountable in following years. Here’s my reading statistics for 2017 with some goals for this next year of reading:

I read 50 books in 2017.

The shortest book I read was 80 pages (The Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged) and the longest book I read was 592 pages (American Gods)

The length of the books I read averaged at 288.76 pages.

In total I read 14,438 pages.

On average that is 39.5 pages a day or 277.65 pages a week or 1,203.16 pages a month.

Gender Statistics:

In 2017 54% of the books I read were written by women, 36% were written by men, and 10% (graphic novels) were collaborations with both male and female writers. All of these authors were cisgender.

In 2018 I would love to read one or more books written by a trans, nonbinary, or gender nonconforming author. Let me know if you have any recommendations.


Race Statistics

In 2017 70% of the books I read were written by white people and 30% were written by people of color. However, my top 10 favorite reads of the year was split 50-50 and there’s no reason why my overall reading can’t be the same.

In 2018 I want to be at 60-40 or 50-50.

chart (1)


Nationality Statistics:

In 2017 62% of the books I read were by American authors. The rest of the of the 38% were English, Canadian, Japanese, Nigerian, Zimbabwean, Jamaican, Irish, Ghanaian, Spanish, and Swedish.

In 2018  I want to continue my exploration of reading authors from other countries while also supporting American authors. I don’t have a specific statistic goal here.

chart (8)

Format Statistics:

In 2017, 50% of the books I read were paperback, 32% were hardback, 6% were combined comic books (instead of trade paperback), and 4% were audiobooks.

In 2018, I’m going to listen to only podcasts and music so audiobooks will not be a part of the 50 books I read. I want to continue my pattern of reading paperback, hardback, and comic books.

chart (3)

Date Published Statistics:

In 2017, 28% of the books I read were released in 2017. This chart is all scattered but most of the others books I read were released in the 2000’s and only a few of the small unlabeled slivers were published pre-2000’s.

In 2018, I want to keep up my pattern of reading books as they’re released so as to stay in tune with the literary world.

chart (4)

Genre Statistics:

In 2017,  24% of books I read were fiction, 16% were graphic novels, 12% were nonfiction, 12% science fiction, 12% young adult, 6% mystery, 6% horror, 4% fantasy, 2% drama, and 2% children’s.

In 2018, I want to keep up my pattern of reading lots of different genres. I didn’t love the horror and mystery I read this year so I except that category to go down and perhaps sci-fi or fantasy to go up.

chart (5)

Rating Statistics:

In 2017, I rated 30% of the books I read as 5 stars, 30% as 4 stars, 30% as 3 stars and the remaining 10% were 1 and 2 stars.

In 2018, I want to keep that 3,4, & 5 star balance strong. I want to put down 1-star books before I even complete and rate them.

chart (7)

In 2018 I want to read 50 awesome books!

One thought on “2017 Reading Statistics

    Steve Micklewright said:
    January 17, 2018 at 4:20 am

    If you are interested in something completely different to add to your list I would happily send you my first novel in e-book format. Add a self-published author to your list 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s